Makes 1 9x13 cake
|3 cups ||750 mL ||rolled oats|
|3 cups ||750 mL ||whole wheat flour|
|1 1/3 cups ||315 mL ||brown sugar|
|1 tsp ||5 mL ||baking soda|
|1 cup ||250 mL ||butter|
|1/2 cup ||125 mL ||water|
|4 cups ||1000 mL||grape filling|
- Mix dry ingrediants together in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Mix the melted butter and water into the dry ingrediants. You will probably have to use your hands. If it is too dry, add a bit more water.
- Press 2/3 to 3/4 of the crust mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the grape filling into the pan. Spread it around evenly.
- Drop the remainder of the crust onto the filling in peices no larger than a quarter. You can't really spread them once they are on because they are to stiff and the filling is too squisy. When you are down to small pieces and loose oats, just sprinkle them on.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool and cut into squares. If you have big chunks of crust on top, you may have to cut around them.
- Using melted butter and water doesn't seem like a good idea because of polar/non-polar bond issues. I think the original recipie had all butter, but I don't know how much. More experiments needed.
- You can use other fillings in place of grape. One possibility is date filling.
- In my opinion, the squares are better cool than hot. They also freeze well.
Back to recipes page
Back to home page