Makes 1 pie
|5 ||5 ||eggs|
|1/3 cup ||80 mL ||sugar|
|1/3 cup ||80 mL ||milk|
|2/3 cup ||80 mL ||flour|
|1/2 tsp ||2 mL ||vanilla|
|1/4 tsp ||1 mL ||salt|
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a pie plate. Once we start working with eggwhites, everything should happen as fast as possible, so we will do these first.
Separate the eggs into whites and yolks.
- Crack each egg and carefully pour the white into a glass without breaking the yolk. You will have to pour the yolk back a forth between the two halves of the eggshell a couple of times. Don't use a plastic glass.
- Pour the egg yolk into a mixing bowl. If any yolk got into the glass with the eggwhite, pour those whites in with the yolks.
- Pour the eggwhite from the glass into a glass or metal bowl. You cannot use a plastic bowl because plastic picks up egg yolk residue.
Beat up the eggwhites until they form stiff peaks.
- Once you have put the beaters in the yolks, do not put them back in the whites. If any yolk gets in, the eggwhite will not beat.
- As soon as you stop beating the eggwhites, they start to collapse again. Therefore, you want them to start as stiff as possible, and to prepare the yolks quickly.
- Don't leave the eggwhites on the stove or the heat will make them quickly collapse.
Beat the sugar into the egg yolks until they are thick and pale yellow.
- If there are eggwhites mixed in with the yolks, this may not happen. In that case, just beat uptil the mixture is frothy.
- Beat everything except the eggwhites into the egg yolk mixture until smooth. Don't beat too much or all the baking powder will react and your eierkuchen won't rise.
- Gently slide the eggwhites onto the egg yolk mixture using a spatula and fold it in. Use the spatula to cut the mixture in half and fold one half onto the other. Then rotate the bowl an irragular angle and repeat. Stop when the mixture looks more-or-less mixed. You can use beaters, but don't mix much or the eggwhites will collapse.
- Gently slide the mixture into the greased pan and bake for 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle eierkuchen with icing sugar or serve with fruit sauce or jam.
Back to recipes page
Back to home page