Pancakes / Waffles
Makes enough for 3 people
|1 cup ||250 mL ||whole wheat flour|
|1 cup ||250 mL ||white flour|
|2 Tbsp ||30 mL ||brown sugar|
|2 Tbsp ||30 mL ||baking powder|
|1 tsp ||5 mL ||salt|
|2 cups ||500 mL ||milk|
|2 ||2 ||eggs|
|1/4 cup ||60 mL ||vegetable oil|
- Preheat the griddle (for pancakes) or waffle iron (for waffles). For pancakes, use a temperature of 350°F (175°C). You need to leave it pluged in for 5 - 10 minutes before you use it. In practice, you leave it to heat up as you do the next steps.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. An wisk works well for mixing.
- In a larger bowl or 8-cup measuring cup, mix the milk, eggs, and oil using the hand blender.
- Add the "dry" mixture to "wet" mixture and mix them using the handblender.
- Grease the griddle (or waffle iron). It should be hot by now.
Use a big spoon to pour the batter onto the griddle, making circles about 10 cm (4 inches) across.
- To test if the pankcakes are done, lift one side with a spatula. If you havee a non-stick griddle (and if you don't know, you do), use a wooden or plastic spatula. A metal one will damage the non-stick coating.
- Wait ? - ? minutes until the bottoms of the pancakes are done. They should be light brown but not dark brown.
- Flip the pancakes with the spatula.
- Wait 1 - 2 minutes until the other side of the pancakes is done.
- Lift the pancakes off the griddle with the spatula.
- Repeat until you have used all the batter. You can eat the pancakes while the next batch is cooking.
- Cook the batter on the waffle iron for 2 - 3 minutes, depending on the waffle iron. The waffles are done when they don't stick.
- Lift the waffle(s) off the waffle iron with a spatula.
- Repeat until you have used all the batter. You can eat the waffles while the next batch is cooking.
- Place the cooked pancakes (or waffles) on a cookie rack or large plate to cool. They will stay warm longer on a plate, but will become soggy.
- Serve with syrup, fruit sauce, or jam. If you are feeling fancy, you can put whipped cream on top of the fruit sauce.
Back to recipes page
Back to home page